Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Drive to Wind Caves/Flintstone Campground

PICTURES: 1) Theresa and me on the road through WY, 2) Flintstones Campground


So my fire the last night at Glacier was an utter failure. Probably because I'd used most of the smaller pieces the night before, but I was trying to light it with newspaper and such, and the wood WOULD NOT catch fire. I was so pissed. Anyway, it was just enough to roast my hot dogs, but that was it.

The next morning we packed up and drove across Wyoming toward Wind Caves National Park. It was a very beautiful day and despite road construction (AGAIN) it was smooth sailing. As we got nearer to Wind Caves, we kept our eyes open for campsites (since we'd been so spoiled at Glacier by having an outside campground which included showers). Anyway, we found one around 6 pm called the "Flintstones Campground." All the buildings looked like Flintstones houses and were really cute. They also had showers (free) and laundry facilities (those were for a fee). And, the campground was grassy, relatively flat and had a picnic table with a roof. When we entered the office of the campground we asked the woman how much it was (with a AAA) rate and it was only about $25 with tax. First we confirmed that 1) there were showers and 2) that they were free. When the woman confirmed this, we practically jumped for joy and she looked at us like we were wild animals (which, after camping for 6 nights without free shower facilities, we kinda were). Then I asked her if there were bears around, and she gave me another strange look and said, "No...."

Anyway, we set up camp, then used the internet for some time and Enrique took a shower (the girls decided to wait until morning so our hair wouldn't be wet in the tent given how cold the nights had been). I tried to start a fire for the 3 night in a row, and I had about as much luck as I'd had the night before. Finally, I went to the family with the campsite next to us and begged the dad's help. He and his boyscout little sons came over and gave us a fire-starter brick and got it all built up for us (but, I must add, he also had trouble, so I felt better - we simply had very stubborn wood). We sat around the fire for a while, and finally all got a night of sleep where we did not have to worry about wild animals. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment